Dreamcatchers are handmade crafts that have their origins in the Native American culture. Their main purpose is to protect sleeping children from evil spirits and bad dreams. The legend says that the spider web design allows the good dreams to pass through to sleeping children, while the bad dreams remain caught in the web. For some Native Americans, the dreamcatchers are a symbol of good energy and a protector against bad energies, no matter if you are asleep or awake.
Whether you believe dreamcatchers protect you against nightmares or you believe they are totems of good energy, it is pretty clear that their role is to protect people against things that can disturb their inner peace.
Pendulums can be added to dreamcatchers to enhance the healing power to the dreamcatcher. The movement of the pendulum can make a person more relaxed and balanced.
Nowadays, dreamcatchers lost some of their significance and become decorative objects or lovely accessories for women. For those who believe in their power, dreamcatchers definitely should have a place in their homes. For others dreamcatchers can be great gifts, accessories or decorative objects. No matter which side are you on, if you want to know how to make a pendulum dreamcatcher, we have a step by step guide that will help you make one for you, your children or to give a gift to a dear friend or family member.
What you need:
- A ring or a hoop made of metal or wood. You can bend a cliffhanger if you don’t have a metal or wood ring, but you can find hoops or rings easily in the yarn and crochet aisles at your local craft store.
- A strip of leather. Suede or felt strips work too;
- A spool of string;
- A crystal pendulum or a piece of stone that can be hanged from a string;
- Glue gun;
- Other decorative elements if you want to create a modern accessory and not a traditional, simple dreamcatcher.
How To Make A Pendulum Dreamcatcher:
- Step 1: Wrap the leather, suede or felt strip around the craft ring.
- Step 2: Secure the leather strip with a glue gun.
- Step 3:. Decide where the top of the dreamcatcher should be and using a large string, tie a knot.
- Step 4: Create the web design, starting from the top knot. Make a hanging loop by dragging the string down at the length you desire and wrapping it around the circle. The length you chose should be the one you’ll use for all the loops you’ll make around the circle. Make sure not to distort the ring by wrapping the string too tight.
- Step 5: After you are back at the top knot continue with the same technique until you reach the desire center hole dimension.
- Step 6: Hang the crystal pendulum bellow the top of the dreamcatcher so when it hangs it will reach the center of the web.
- Step 7: Decorate the dreamcatcher with beads and feathers as you desire.